Monday, August 26, 2013

Orencia Has Failed!

As I write this SharePost, I am sitting on my comfortable blue micro suede couch with my right foot wrapped in an ice pack.  It is elevated, and I am hoping the ice will make a positive difference in the swelling and pain.

As I gaze at my funny looking feet, I am sure of one thing.  Orencia, that worked immediately and so well for a year, has failed. The RA Troll, sneaky creature that he is, has found a way around my med of choice.

The wonders of our immune systems, and the wonders of biologic agents, still amaze me. I am thankful we have biologic meds as an option for treatment, unlike the RA warriors who lived before biologics were developed.

I see my rheumatologist on Friday.  I know Orencia has failed because my CRP is now 28.6 and I feel it.  I feel it all over my body.
I would be hard-pressed to find a joint that is not inflamed, and the fatigue is overwhelming.

I am sero-negative, so my rheumy pays close attention to my CRP lab results.  When I first started Orencia, a year ago in July, my CRP was over 7.  The first blood test after I began treatment with Orencia showed my CRP to be .9!  Clearly, this was the drug for me at the time.  Unfortunately, that time has passed, and I am moving on.

My first biologic med was Humira.  That med seemed to kick in during the fourth month of treatment.  It never lowered by CRP below 5, but it did help………….a little. After a month of helping a bit, it stopped helping at all.

My rheumatologist did not suggest another TNF inhibitor for me.  She moved me right on up to Orencia.  I wonder if she thinks I made antibodies to Humira.  I will ask her Friday.

This Friday will probably a long appointment. My options: another TNF inhibitor, Xeljanz, Rituxan or Actmera.  I will tell you right now, I am not keen on Rituxan or Actemra.  I am afraid of them, and I will admit it.


I wonder if my rheumy will let me try another TNF inhibitor.  If so, am leaning toward Simponi.  If any of you have experience with Xeljanz, Rituxan, Actemra or Simponi, please feel free to share your experience.  I would appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment