Monday, September 2, 2013

Things That Make You Go: Hmmmmmmmmmmm


I saw my rheumy last Friday.  The appointment is a bit of a blur, really.  The brain fog was heavy that day.

I thought for sure Orencia had failed, but she does not agree.  Not yet, anyway.  She told me the CRP test my PCP ran was “high sensitivity”.  She explained that is used by cardiologists to determine heart attack risk.

She further explained that the CRP test she uses to gauge disease activity showed my level to be a 10.  Now, my level has never been above a 7 before, but she didn’t mention that.

She also didn’t mention that my CRP was .9 right after I started Orencia.  It was working so well!

I was a bit confused, so I asked her why all of my joints hurt if Orencia is still working.  Her conclusion:  I am in an RA flare, a Fibro flare, and the degenerative arthritis in my back is causing a lot of pain.

My rheumy does not buy the diagnosis of my orthopedic doc of spondyloarthropathy.  She wants to determine that herself.  All I know is that every vertebra on that x-ray was dotted in bright white.  My ortho says that is inflammation.  My rheumy says it was probably OA. 

Isn’t it wonderful when you get caught in the middle between two doctors?  Not a good place to be.

My rheumy wanted to prescribe Cymbalta, but I explained to her I had tried that in the past and I cannot take it. It raises my blood pressure way too much. 

She also was stressing to me the importance of sleep.  I guess I looked tired.  No kidding!  When a person is in a lot of pain they do look tired, regardless of the amount of sleep they are getting.

I have an appointment with my PCP in three weeks, and I am looking forward to it.  I am going to be completely honest with her.  I am confused, and I need some help sorting this out. 

My back is still very painful and if I “push” it, my legs just stop working.  It is more like a muscle thing than a nerve thing.  My muscles just get sluggish and refuse to go.


I was also stunned at my rheumy’s willingness to write a narcotic pain med script for me.  I didn’t ask. She asked me if I had enough T3.  I am shaking my head here.  Something is up.  Perhaps my PCP will help me figure this all out. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment